Chesapeake Yacht Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Chesapeake Yacht Club

Chesapeake Yacht Club Discussion Board

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Allowing the BOG some flexibility in re-assigning slips

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Alex

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2007-05-09

Allowing the BOG some flexibility in re-assigning slips Empty
PostSubject: Allowing the BOG some flexibility in re-assigning slips   Allowing the BOG some flexibility in re-assigning slips Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2007 11:13 am

x

Last edited by Alex on Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Alex

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2007-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Allowing the BOG some flexibility in re-assigning slips   Allowing the BOG some flexibility in re-assigning slips Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2007 7:52 am

x

Last edited by Alex on Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Paul_Kowalski

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2007-03-12

PostSubject: Allowing the BOG some flexibility in re-assigning slips   Allowing the BOG some flexibility in re-assigning slips Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2007 6:54 am

I personally believe that it would be very beneficial for the club if the BOG had more flexibility in managing the assignment of slips. I have seen situations where we could not bring in new members with large boats because we did not have a slip available that would accommodate their vessel. We could have moved boats that were way too small for their current slip assignment to a smaller slip and then we would have been able to accommodate the new applicant but under current bylaws and rules that could not be accomplished. That situation is not the best utilization of the club assets but it is the existing rule and bylaw.

We need to also consider this from the current member’s perspective. Members, except for the first slip assignment, wait and look for the best slips that will meet their needs. When one they want becomes available they apply for it, as can all members, and if lucky obtain the slip. This process tends to invoke a lot of emotions about slips assignments for the existing members, especially if they get what they want and feel that believe that the new slip best meets their needs. These members like their slips especially if it has a good view of the water. At this point they never want to give it up even if the slip could fit a 70 foot boat and they currently have a 40 foot boat occupying the slip. From their prospective, they feel that they have waited for the slip and they are paying the cost of the slip based on current fee rules.

Since we are a club and have existing rules, I would only be willing to allow the BOG the flexibility to assign slips based on a grandfathering scheme. Once the rule or bylaw was enacted to allow the BOG the right to arbitrarily reassign slips, the BOG would only be able to invoke this rule for members that join the club after enactment of the new rule or bylaw. Members that joined after the rule was in place know that this action could occur. Members that joined prior to the enactment would be exempt from the rule since they joined based on a different set of conditions.
Back to top Go down
07Commodore

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2007-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Allowing the BOG some flexibility in re-assigning slips   Allowing the BOG some flexibility in re-assigning slips Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2007 5:23 pm

This is a very good topic. Sorry I'm late in replying as I was beginning to wonder if anyone was looking at the site. To provide the Board "eminent domain" over slip assignments would be a hard nut for the membership to swallow. Do we make slip assignments a Board decision? You certainly couldn't leave that kind of responsibility to one person. What if a member fell into disfavor with a Fleet Captain or a friend of the Fleet Captain and the Fleet Captain arbitrarily relocated that member to a dock far far away. What a nightmare! The criteria for relocating someone who did not want to move would have to be incredibly stringent. What if someone needs to be moved after being in the same slip for, say five years? I'm not going to be the messenger on that one. Not without armed protection.

I say we tell new members their slip assignment is temporary for three years. If they stay in the same slip for three years, it's theirs and we can't relocate them without permission.

I also believe that if a member purchases a new boat, that new boat gets a new slip assignment, if called for. The slips are matched to boat suitability, not member suitability. If you change boats, a consequence should be that you may also lose your slip. If I go out and buy a 30' boat, should I be allowed to keep it in my 70' slip? absolutely not.

These rules could be implemented without effect on the current membership, unless they get a different boat than they now have.

What do you think?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Allowing the BOG some flexibility in re-assigning slips   Allowing the BOG some flexibility in re-assigning slips Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Allowing the BOG some flexibility in re-assigning slips
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Chesapeake Yacht Club :: Comments & Suggestions-
Jump to: